POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'spray' : Re: Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'sp= Server Time
18 May 2024 12:52:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'sp=
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 May 2008 12:05:02
Message: <web.4829bb09dace545278dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
> Cool, but you don't need the height_field, just use eval_pigment.  That way,
> you can use any pigment as a mask...

....and using it as a 3-D mask, which you outline in the code example, sounds
REALLY intriguing! I'm guessing that such a technique will work because the
pigment pattern is 3-D rather than 2-D (as in my original image_map example)?
Wow. If so, then my limited little masking trick just took on a whole new
dimension--literally!! Thanks for opening my eyes.

KW